Lyford is a small but long established hamlet (944AD) with a civil electoral register of 35 with 9 on the church electoral roll.
The church is dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin and dates back to the 13th century. A wooden tower containing three bells has been added and the church fabric extensively restored in 1875, since when it has remained largely unaltered. There is a regular monthly service of Holy Communion (BCP) with hymns, attended by worshippers from Charney Bassett as well as from West Hanney, the original mother church. Other services include Harvest Festival, Carols by candlelight and joint benefice services.
The village contains an 18th Century Almscourt forming homes for 8 elderly people. Lyford Grange lies just outside the village and was originally a moated manor house built in a quadrangle. It was here that Edmund Campion SJ was arrested in 1581, leading to his martyrdom at Tyburn. The event is still commemorated by a pilgrimage that includes Lyford Church and Grange.